The Training Synchroniser is designed to update an employee's historical (Previous) training records from a master training system source. This function is used by clients who wish to use their own training system rather than that provided by Vault, but still, wish to reflect and display the selected (e.g. OHS) course training status of employees into Vault.
Training Synchroniser does not manage or support course scheduling or display any intermediate training status that falls outside of Not Started [Required], Expired or Completed.
Key fields are Course name or course code, employee number, date* and status (Pass/Fail)
* Training courses have various dates which are important for purposes of recertification. Vault uses completion date of a course as the trigger to start the recertification timer. More information on date logic is in the table below.
Full employee files or changes only (delta files) are accepted.
Typically, the initial population of is by way of a full upload then changes only (delta files) for ongoing updates. Full uploads can be presented for ongoing updates, but care must be taken not to introduce duplicate records.
- Valid Course details loaded in Vault Training module including course name or code
- Valid employee numbers in Vault
- Training records data in CSV file presented to the
Using the Training Synchroniser is similar to the "Manually Add Training" function in the Vault employee training tab. The results are displayed in the;
- Employees>Training tab in the Training grid (Course Name/Code - Pass/Fail/ Score (Mark)
- Training>Train Needs analysis matrix (Status - valid states are RED - not started / RED[E]- previously completed but expired / GREEN Completed)
- Reports (Some training reports)
The amount of detail displayed in Vault will be determined by the data presented to the synchroniser.
- Log into the Vault database, click the settings icon and select Settings
- Select Synchroniser - Training from the Settings
- Determine what Training data you wish to import from your master (Training) database into the Vault database
- check the Training data table below to ensure the fields you require are supported by the Synchroniser.
- Extract your KPI hours data from your master database into a CSV file in the format prescribed in the Training data table
File name must begin with "training" and finish with ".csv" e.g. "training_31JUN2010.csv"
Save the CSV file in a known location in your network.
- Enter the email address you wish to receive Synchroniser - Employee notifications. Note this email address can be unique for each synchroniser
- Determine if you wish to receive error notifications only or error and successful synchronisation notifications
> how many columns are in your CSV file
> the CSV Quote character
> the CSV separator
> if your file contains a title row
- Map the columns to match your CSV file fields
- Save your settings (generally the settings once saved are not required to be changed)
- Using an ftp application, send your file to platinumsafety.com
FTP Host = ftp.platinumsafety.com
FTP port = 21
FTP User = YOURCOMPANYNAME
FTP User = A user password dedicated to your company will be assigned to you when subscribing to the service
Training records data configuration
Once the CSV file(s) has been sent to the ftp location, it will be addressed by the daily scheduled task to run at midnight (AEST). Note the file may run anytime between midnight and 4am.
- Synchroniser runs the CSV file and if no errors are detected the changes in the file are made to the Vault database and the CSV file is deleted from the
- If errors are detected, then changes are rolled back and no data is changed and the CSV file is deleted from the server. A full list of all errors is emailed back to a customer nominated email
- The errors should be corrected and resubmitted in a new file for synchronisation the following
Note: for every field mapped, there must be an entry in the CSV file, even if the field contains no data
Previous Training data table
Required fields are indicated by Red bold text
Important Note on Dates & Vault logic:
Course Re certification dates are calculated using the End (completion date) of a course and the course re certification period in the Training module.
Vault internal logic requires both a Start Date and an End date for a course. To manage this check the following
If you have:
- A Start and End date; Use both COURSE START DATE & COURSE END DATE columns in your CSV file
- An End (completed) date only; use the COURSE START/END DATE column (The same date will populate internally in Vault internally)
- A Start date; use use the COURSE START/END DATE column (The same date will populate internally in Vault internally)
Q. What happens if I run a full CSV file of all training records on an existing database?
A. The Training Synchroniser will only update records that have changed
Q. What happens if I run a CSV file of changes only on an existing database?
A. Any changed records will be updated - all other data will remain intact as it was prior to updating.
Q. What will happen If an existing employee training record has had a change of status, pass/fail or mark?
A. The new information will be displayed after the synchroniser has run.
Any new/additional information will be added to the employee record if the field was previously blank
Q. What happens if a course Name changes?
A. If the primary field being used is Course Code, then this will have no impact (but it should be manually updated in Vault for continuity.)
If the course name is the primary field being used and the name has been updated in Vault, then the records will be correct.
If the course name is the primary field being used and the name has not been updated in Vault, then the sync will error.
If the course name is the primary field being used and a NEW Course name is added to Vault, then duplicate employee records may be generated by the sync process.
Q. If some (non required) fields have not been provided in the CSV?
A. Those fields will not have values in the Vault database. If data was previously in those fields in Vault, then the data will be deleted.
Q. Do I need to do a Vault database backup?
A. No Vault Cloud service does a daily backup of your data on your behalf
Q. Can I change an employee training record in Vault if the Synchroniser is trying to change that record?
A. Yes - the Vault will reflect the entry which is most current.
Q. My master database records are not in the same format as the Vault fields?
A. The update will not be successful - the CSV must match all the Vault field parametersQ. My master database records has a new course which has not been added to the Vault database?
Q. My master database records has a new course which has not been added to the Vault database?
A. The update will not be successful - the CSV must match all the Vault field parameters.