Drill Through is the ability to click on a hyperlink and move from one report to another - typically to show more detail. Drill Through links work on both tables and on charts.
The following example uses drill through to show the detail of overdue corrective actions.
When creating related reports it is worth planning the reporting outcome that you are attempting to achieve.
- Plan Top Down – determine which report will be your starting point. For example if you wish to deliver a report of events by site you may want to drill into events by type for a selected region.
- Build Bottom Up – once you have determined all the reports that are needed for either drill through build the required reports from the bottom up. The last report you will write will be the report that you wish to be the entry point/parent report.
Note: If you wish to have a drill through report, the child must have at least one user prompt filter, and the same data must exist on the parent report. For example - the filter is based on Level 2 Name, so you must have the Last 2 Name field in your report.
1. Create the child report, this will show the detail you wish to show when you have clicked on the parent report. In this example, I have included all of the corrective action detail.
2. Add the user prompt filters that will break down your report to the filters area.
As my parent report will be a pie chart to show the status of corrective actions across the business, I only need to add the status to the filters as this is what I want to see a break down of.
NB: this field does not need to be in the child report, only the parent report.
NB: If your report will join on a month field (ie. Event Start Month Date), the operand will need to be set to 'Equal to' in the child report.
3. Save the report.
4. Create the parent report.
Ensure to include the fields in your report that were included in the child report in step 3.
5. Change the analysis style to 'Drill Through'.
6. Create a chart if required.
7. Navigate to the Related Reports tab.
8. Find the child report in the left-hand side panel and drag it into the drill through section.
9. In the right-hand side menu, link up the fields in your parent report which match the user prompt filters in the child report.
Select the field you wish to click on.
Pop up window enables a small window to 'pop up' with your drill data rather than opening another window.
10. Navigate to the Design tab to test your drill through report.
If you have used a chart that includes your hyperlink field (ie Count Distinct Action ID) the drill through will be enabled both in the chart and table.
11. Publish your report!