Check Templates define the Items that must be ranked, responded-to, and/or scored by a User (Inspector) whenever carrying-out a planned or ad-hoc Check. Related Items can be grouped together into Sections, pre-defined responses added, and a Scoring System may optionally be applied to the Check Template.
You will learn how to:
- Create a new Check Template
- Add Items and Sections to the Check manually
- Add Items and Sections to the Check by importing a spreadsheet
- Add pre-defined responses to Items
- Save a Check Template in Draft
- Publish a Check Template
Create a new Check Template:
- Select Check > Template from the Menu bar:
- Click Create New Template:
- The Name of the new Check Template
- The Template Type. This determines the group that the Check Template will be displayed within when a Check Mobile App User launches an ad-hoc Check. If the Template Type already exists, Smart Search will locate it as you begin to type.
- A Template Description. This should explain the overall nature and purpose of the Check.
- The Scoring System to apply to the Check Template (optional). Select via pick-list (requires a Scoring System to have been setup first)
- The Minimum number of signatures required before the Check can be submitted
- The Pre-Defined Response Type. Choices are:
- None (Pre-defined responses will not be available)
- Responses always shown (Selection of a pre-defined response will be mandatory)
- Responses optional (Pre-defined responses will be offered, but selection not mandatory)
- Responses shown on negative (Selection of a pre-defined response will be mandatory where 'fail' selected as outcome)
- Responses shown on positive (Selection of a pre-defined response will be mandatory where 'pass' selected as outcome)
- Then click Create:
METHOD ONE: MANUAL ENTRY
Upon initial creation, the minimum Check Template requirements of one Section and one Item are automatically created. Edit these to match your requirements.
To edit the first Section name:
- Go to the row labelled (1) Section and click Actions, then Edit:
- Enter the required name for the Section, then click Save:
Result: The first Section is now displayed with its new name:
To edit the first Item name and details:
- Go to the row labelled (1.1.) First Item and click Actions, then Edit:
- Enter the required name and a hint for the Item and click Save:
Result: The first Item is now displayed with its new name:
- Go to the row marked with the name of the parent Section and click Actions, then Add Item:
- Enter the name and a hint for the Item. The hint should explain the nature of the Item and how to assess its outcome to support the Mobile Check App User's understanding. Once entered, click Save:
Result: The new Item is displayed under the parent Section:
To add additional Sections:
- Go to the row labelled with the name of the Check Template and click Actions, then Add Section:
- Enter the name for the Section, then click Save:
Result: The new Section is displayed:
Items may now be added to the new Section by following the procedure named To add additional Items to a Section, above.
To delete an Item or Section:
- Go to the row labelled with the name of the Item or Section requiring deletion and click Actions, then Delete:
Note: Deleting a Section will also delete any Items that have been added to that Section.
METHOD TWO: IMPORTING SECTIONS AND ITEMS FROM A SPREADSHEET
Items and Sections may be imported from a Spreadsheet where these items have already been defined. This is offered as an optional entry method that may be used in conjunction with or instead of manual entry.
Create the Spreadsheet:
- Using a compatible application, create a Spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel format (.xlsx) with columns for Section (mandatory), Item (mandatory) and Hint (optional). In the below example, a spreadsheet has been created with Section values in Column A, Item values in Column B and Hint values in Column C:
Import the Spreadsheet:
- Go to the row marked with the name of the Check Template and click Actions, then Import Template Items:
- On the resulting Import Check Items screen, click the Choose file button:
- Locate the Spreadsheet in your Computer's file system. Once imported, you will be prompted to match the columns in your Spreadsheet to the fields in Check Web Portal:
- Click Update Selected Columns at which point a new button, Review Data, will appear. Click this to continue:
- Review the imported data to ensure that it looks as expected. If so, click Import Data:
RESULT: The imported Items and Sections are now displayed:
Pre-defined responses may be added to Items so that Check Mobile App users can select a relevant response from a pick-list.
To add a pre-defined response to an Item:
- Go to the row marked with the name of the Item and click Actions, then Responses:
Result: The Pre-Defined Responses window is displayed.
- Type the new response in the Add new response field, then click Add:
Result: The Response appears in the Selected responses section of the window.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for any additional Responses required for the same Item.
Result: All entered Responses appear in the Selected responses section of the window.
- Once all Responses are added, click Close.
Result: The window closes and the Responses are saved to the Item.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 for any additional Items that require pre-defined responses.
SAVING OR PUBLISHING A CHECK TEMPLATE
Once all required Items, Sections and pre-defined responses are added, the Check Template must be either:
- Saved as Draft, meaning the Check Template and its associated Items and Sections are saved but are not available to be used in either planned or ad-hoc inspections
- or Published, meaning the Check Template and its associated Items and Sections are available to be used in either planned or ad-hoc inspections
To Save as Draft:
- Click the Draft button:
Result: The Check Template is added to the Templates Register, labelled with Draft:
- Click the Publish button:
Result: The Check Template is added to the Templates Register as a published item (i.e. no Draft label):